Wednesday 15 January 2014

Beauty Tips For Winter Weather: Chapped Lips

Hi guys! As you may know, I am from Canada! And here in Canada, it likes to be exceptionally chilly and dry! So for the next little bit I will be sharing my secrets to managing some common beauty issues that arise in colder climates:

Chapped Lips - EXFOLIATE THEM! This is a tip I learned from none other than Miss Alexa Chung herself, in here book "It" (which you can read more about HERE). I know it sounds gross, but it's a chapped lips lifesaver. 
All you have to do is: 
-mix a equal parts Vaseline and brown sugar together and rub it on your lips and then wash it off with water
I like to make a lot of a scrub like this and then keep it in an old hotel shampoo bottle (which I would have obviously cleaned out), so that I don't need to keep making more every time I want to exfoliate. It's also a great way to reuse those old shampoo bottles!

Exfoliating your lips may seem really yucky, but the scrub actually helps get rid of the dry, dead skin layering you lips, which helps rejuvenate them and the Vaseline helps moisturize them. So as long as you don't over exfoliate, your chapped lips should be gone in no time! By 'don't over exfoliate them' I mean, only do this once or twice a week.  

Also remember that it's important to moisturize them, and not just with your typical lip chap or EOS or whatever it is you use...When it comes to lip chap, I always try to go natural, this is because one time I was watching Doctor Oz and he was talking about how your lips can actually become addicted to lip balm, (if you're curious about that or think I'm crazy, watch the video of him talking about it HERE .It's really interesting and I definitely recommend that you do, it's not very long and it's totally worth it!) He says that by putting on lip balm consistently, you're actually blocking the lips natural rejuvenating cycle which can make the top layers of your lips dry and brittle. The solution? Use a natural oil to moisturize your lips instead. He recommends (and I use) coconut oil. This is because not only does it moisturize your lips without blocking lips natural cycle of shedding old cells (gross, I know), but it also smells nice and tastes fine if you accidentally get some in your mouth as well. I put it on post-exfoliation and in the mornings after I was my face! Easy as pie.

I hope this beauty tip helps some of you out there struggling with your chapped lips, feel free to comment with any beauty issues you have from harsh winter weather, and I'll do my best to make a post on it! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment